The research is out: gut health influences every level of our being. And let’s be honest, you probably put your gut through the ringer this holiday season. We Kitchen Witches want to help you detox your digestive system and hush the inflammation caused by overindulgence. That’s why we’ve partnered with Erewhon Market to bring you gut-healing recipes and tips throughout the seasons of the year ahead.
Each recipe is tailored to your wellness and features ingredients available on Erewhon Market shelves. We’re kicking things off with two recipes that are perfect for winter as they include superfoods that help boost your immunity during cold season.
What better time to commit to your gut health than at the start of the new year? Join us on this journey to take control of your digestive tract and the health of your entire system. Let’s make 2018 the year you restore your gut health.
Healing Greens Soup
Bright green & superfood-rich, this satiating soup is a body’s dream come true. It’s a crowd pleaser that takes fun toppings like a champ and freezes well for later consumption. Get your daily greens, fiber, liver cleansers, and digestive soothers all in one. It’s great hot, cold, or at room temperature. So you can enjoy it straight off the stove or as a replacement for your cold smoothie.
• Kitchen Witch Bone Broth, 1 jar broth +2 jars water, or 2 jars broth + 1 jar water
• Sunpotion Chlorella, 1 heaping TB
• Cilantro, 1 bunch (lower stems discarded)
• Ginger, 2TB chopped
• Meyer lemon, juice of 1-2 to taste
• Kale, 1 head Dino, rough chopped w/ stem
• Broccoli or Broccolini, aprx 2 heads chopped (about 1.5lbs) — stems too!
• Celery, 3 large stems, rough chopped
• Japanese Sweet Potato (or other), 1 large, rough chopped
• Ghee or coconut oil, 2-5 TB (add more for Keto and hormone health) We love Bulletproof and Nutiva!
• Gray or Pink Salt & Pepper, to taste
In a medium soup pot, heat ghee/coconut oil to medium-high heat. Saute celery till softened but not brown (about 6 minutes). Add sweet potato and ginger. Stir and sauté another 6 minutes. Add large pinch of salt and pepper. Add broth and water, turn to high heat and bring to a simmer, covered. Allow a low simmer for 12-15 minutes; till sweet potato is nearly tender. Add broccoli/broccolini, liquid should just cover veggies, add more as needed. Cover and bring back to a simmer. Allow a low simmer for another 7-10 minutes, till broccoli is bright green but not soft. Turn off heat. Add kale, cilantro, lemon, and chlorella to high powered blender. Ladle some soup on top to fill, blend on high till smooth. Pour into large bowl, and repeat with rest of soup, mixing into large bowl as you go. Mix bowl well, taste for salt, pepper, and lemon–adding as needed to taste. Pour back into blender pitcher for easy pouring, and fill your jars for freezing (we like 16oz servings) or serve right away. Add your favorite toppings.
Optional Toppings (get wild!):
• Kale Chips (especially Erewhon Ranch, Café Gratitude’s Garlic Tahini, or Raw Food Central's Original)
• Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds (GoRaw! has the crispiest, lightly salted)
• Moon Juice Parmesan Crips (cannot go wrong with these savory powerhouses!)
• Extra protein: shredded chicken, poached egg, or sautéed shiitakes